Unfortunately, Texas is home to one of the worst healthcare systems in the country, according to a Healthline report. Notably, Houston is the shining beacon of hope, home to some of the best doctors in the nation. If you are sick in Texas, particularly with a severe illness or rare disease, we highly recommend traveling to Houston to seek medical attention. At the very least, seek a second opinion from a Houston health care professional practicing in the Medical Center.
Physicians swear to uphold the Hippocratic Oath, which essentially is an oath to do no harm. Medical malpractice occurs when a physician or provider fails to administer adequate treatment, neglects to take appropriate action, or provides an inadequate treatment that causes the patient injury, harm, or death. If you are a victim of medical malpractice, a Houston personal injury lawyer from our team is here to help.
Typically, negligence or malpractice is the result of medical error. This error could be an incorrect diagnosis, health management, medication dosage, aftercare, or treatment. Under the law, to qualify as medical malpractice, the claim must have the following characteristics:
- A violation of the standard of care. According to the law, specific medical standards are an acceptable medical treatment by reasonably prudent health care professionals under similar or like circumstances. Commonly referred to as the standard of care. Under the standard of care, patients have the right to expect that physicians will administer care accordingly. If these standards are breached, negligence may be established.
- An injury caused by negligence. It is not sufficient for health care professionals to have solely violated the standard of care. For the medical malpractice claim to be valid, the patient must also prove an injury sustained would not have developed without the absence of negligence. An unfavorable reaction by itself is not malpractice. Chiefly, if an injury occurred in the abstention of negligence or that the negligence demonstrably did not cause the injury, there is no medical malpractice case.
- Significant damages, both monetary and psychological, emanated from the injury. Medical malpractice lawsuits are among the most expensive cases to litigate. Generally, these cases demand testimony from numerous medical experts along with countless hours of deposition testimony. For a case to hold water, the patient must demonstrate significant damages ensued as a direct result of the injury derived from the medical negligence. Meaning, if the damages are not substantial, the cost of pursuing the case will likely exceed the eventual recovery. To successfully pursue a medical malpractice claim, the patient must prove the injury sustained caused loss of income, disability, hardship, suffering, unusual pain, &/or considerable past and future medical bills.
Common Forms of Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice is typically present in the following cases:
- Poor follow-up or aftercare
- Premature discharge
- Disregarding or failing to account for appropriate patient history
- Failure to order proper testing
- Misreading or ignoring laboratory results
- Failure to recognize symptoms
- Unnecessary surgery
- Failure to diagnose or misdiagnosis
- Surgical errors or wrong-site surgery
- Improper medication or dosage
In these cases, it is critical to hire a Houston personal injury lawyer from our team to pursue the maximum compensation for your injuries. AZ Law has experienced medical malpractice attorneys to fight for the highest settlement possible for you.
Texas Medical Malpractice
Sadly, Texas has become a dumping ground for doctors with deeply distressing records because of our broken regulatory systems. The Texas Medical Board, tasked with nominally regulating physicians, consistently lacks the will to remove incompetent doctor’s licenses. Famously, Texas fostered the neurosurgeon dubbed Dr. Death, Christopher Duntsch, who expertly butchered his patients for years. Unsurprisingly, medical errors account for the third leading cause of death in Texas, according to CDC data. Yet, the number of Texas medical malpractice claims is falling.
Why? First, committing medical malpractice in Texas is cheap because the doctors and hospitals insurance providers are not legally required to compensate malpractice victims. Second, many victims cannot seek recovery because the recoverable sum is inefficient to cover the costs of battling insurance providers.
Medical malpractice is a serious health problem in Texas. And the problem continues to grow. Complaints against the Texas Medical Board are near an all-time high. This despicable. AZ Law Firm is passionate and committed to fighting for your justice.
To find out how we can help you, contact an Houston Personal Injury Lawyer at 512-400-7070 or send us a message. We will schedule an initial client consultation to review your case details and lay out a game plan for your personal injury case. Additionally, we will not charge you for our services unless we obtain a settlement or verdict for your case. Whether you are dealing with a railroad accident, the manufacturer of a defective product, or an insurance company, AZ Law Firm will pursue the legal action necessary to secure justice and financial restitution for you and your loved ones.
- evaluating and explaining to you the pros and cons of your individual case
- discussing with you any available options and our proposed strategies as it relates to your case
- providing guidance and recommendations regarding any proposed settlement offer
- quickly and effectively communicating with you during each step of the process so that you are not left in the dark
- taking your case solely on a contingent fee basis
- and aggressively protecting and defending your rights
We understand times are tough and that there probably hasn’t been a tougher time in your life. Although we could get away with charging exuberant amounts, we prefer not to as we are a law firm by the people, for the people. We do not want you to worry about whether you can afford to hire an attorney to protect and defend your rights. Call us and be surprised at the quality you receive compared to what other law firms will quote you!
Accordingly, the attorneys at AZ Law Firm will always provide you with a free initial consultation. During this initial consultation, one of our personal injury attorneys will evaluate your case, inform you of any legal options that may be available, and allow you to ask any questions that you may have. AZ Law Firm offers affordable rates for all our clients and will work with you on payment plans. Our firm accepts checks, debit cards, and most major credit cards to cover the costs of your legal representation.