Everything is bigger in Texas. Including the number of commercial vehicle accidents. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, hundreds of thousands of Texas drivers are involved in commercial motor vehicle accidents each year. Unfortunately, many of these accidents result in severe injuries and loss of life.
The sheer weight and size of commercial vehicles, be it a large truck or 18 wheeler, is statistically probable to crush passenger vehicles. Studies have shown that in areas more highly trafficked by commercial vehicles, the number of accidents and the severity of the accidents also increase. Alarmingly, the number of commercial vehicle accidents has been steadily growing for the past decade.
Due to the vulnerability of passenger cars comparatively, these collisions are often traumatic and confusing experiences for those involved. Our Austin car accident attorney is here to provide you with the facts and protect your rights on the road.
Events Leading to Commercial Vehicle Accidents
The statistics are alarming. Arm yourself with knowledge so you may be more proactive on the road. The National Highway Safety Administration & Federal Motor Carrier Administration conducted a Large Truck Crash Causation Study to examine the factors involved in large truck crashes. The study concluded that three major contributing events occurred in commercial vehicle accidents:
- colliding with the rear end of another vehicle in the commercial vehicle’s lane
- running out of travel lane, either into another lane or off the road
- loss of vehicle control due to traveling too fast for conditions, cargo shift, vehicle systems failure, poor road conditions
Underlying Causes of Accidents
Finally, the study determined the top ten causes of commercial vehicle accidents. Some of these causes are readily apparent when on the road. If these causes are present, drive cautiously and defensively. Above all else, be alert.
- unfamiliarity with the roadway
- roadway problems
- required to stop before the crash occurred (crosswalk, traffic control device, etc.)
- over-the-counter drug use
- inadequate surveillance
- brake problems
- traffic flow interruption
- prescription drug use
- traveling too fast for conditions
An Austin Car Accident Attorney can help determine Liability in a Commercial Vehicle Accident
As mentioned, these types of crashes typically cause severe injuries and loss of life, leaving you and your loved ones with extensive expenses. Depending on the circumstances surrounding your accident, any of the following parties may be held liable:
- the vehicle’s manufacturer or the manufacturer of a particular vehicle part
- the person or company responsible for the vehicle’s maintenance
- the commercial vehicle driver
- the driver’s employer
- the company that owns or leases the vehicle
Therefore, it is crucial to determine who is liable for your accident so you may seek damages. However, it can be hard to identify the party liable because of the number of parties entangled in the commercial transportation industry. An Austin car accident attorney can assist you. We are well versed and knowledgeable in commercial vehicle accidents to determine who is at fault.
Defend Your Rights After an Accident
- Stay on the scene. Do not leave before Emergency Response has arrived. If you do, it is considered a hit and run.
- If you are able, check on the other drivers and passengers involved. Determine if medical assistance is needed. This information will inform your subsequent action.
- Call 911. Emergency Response will dispatch police and medical personal if needed. You will need a police report for evidence of property damage, injury, or death.
- Exchange information. Record the names, phone numbers, addresses, drivers’ license numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance information from all drivers involved. Crucially, get as many details about the commercial driver’s employer as possible.
- Inform your insurance agency. Relay the details of the accident to your insurance company.
- Seek medical attention and keep records of medical treatment. You will need meticulous records of your medical appointments, treatments, and medications. Begin a diary to note how your subsequent injuries affect your daily life.
- Take pictures at the scene. Photographic documentation of the accident scene is hugely helpful. Be sure to include any damage caused by the accident and any injuries. This photographic evidence may help determine fault in the case of a dispute.
- Avoid discussing the accident. Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than your attorney.
To find out how we can help you, contact one of our Austin car accident lawyer at 512-400-7070 or send us a message. We will schedule an initial client consultation to review your case details and lay out a game plan for your personal injury case. Additionally, we will not charge you for our services unless we obtain a settlement or verdict for your case. Whether you are dealing with an uninsured motorist, the manufacturer of a defective product, or an insurance company, AZ Law Firm will pursue the legal action necessary to secure justice and financial restitution for you and your loved ones.
- evaluating and explaining to you the pros and cons of your individual case
- discussing with you any available options and our proposed strategies as it relates to your case
- providing guidance and recommendations regarding any proposed settlement offer
- quickly and effectively communicating with you during each step of the process so that you are not left in the dark
- taking your case solely on a contingent fee basis
- and aggressively protecting and defending your rights
We understand times are tough and that there probably hasn’t been a tougher time in your life. Although we could get away with charging exuberant amounts, we prefer not to as we are a law firm by the people, for the people. We do not want you to worry about whether you can afford to hire an attorney to protect and defend your rights. Call us and be surprised at the quality you receive compared to what other law firms will quote you!
Accordingly, the attorneys at AZ Law Firm will always provide you with a free initial consultation. During this initial consultation, one of our personal injury lawyer Dallas affiliates will evaluate your case, inform you of any legal options that may be available, and allow you to ask any questions that you may have. AZ Law Firm offers affordable rates for all our clients and will work with you on payment plans. Our firm accepts checks, debit cards, and most major credit cards to cover the costs of your legal representation.