To some extent, probation is considered to be a second chance. Probation imposes some restrictions but, you’re otherwise permitted to live freely. So, when you violate the terms of your probation, your freedom is at risk. Our criminal lawyers Austin TX are here to help.
Types Texas Probations
Depending on your circumstances, you will either be placed on straight probation or deferred adjudication. Straight probation is imposed following a conviction.
Deferred adjudication is typically extended for a minor, nonviolent offense. Upon successful completion of deferred adjudication, Texas dismisses your charges. The Court doesn’t take kindly to a violation of deferred adjudication, as they were offering to drop all charges conditioned on you upholding the terms of probation. In some violation cases, the Court will rescind their offer.
In both cases, the Court determines the appropriate terms and length of your probation.
Typical Probation Violations
Violation of probation is conditional upon the specific probation terms the Court deems necessary. The most common forms of probation violation include:
- failure to check in as scheduled with their probation officer
- arrested & face new charges during probation
- failure to pass a drug test
- failure to complete/perform community service requirements
- failure to pay fines
- failure to attend court-mandated counseling
- failure to attend treatment sessions
You’ve violated probation. What’s next?
Not all probation violations get the same treatment. For low-level offenses, you may be issued as little as a warning; especially, if your probation officer has a massive caseload.
For serious offenses, you’ll likely be ordered to appear before Judge. At this hearing, the State will present evidence of your probation violation. Generally, the evidence provided is:
- social media posts (quick PSA, take a sabbatical from social media posts and tags during your probation.)
- testimony from your probation officer
Significantly, your parole officer will play a vital part in determining the severity of your repercussions. If the Court finds you guilty, you will receive your new sentence following the verdict. Until then, you may be placed on extended probation, serve jail time, or, in extreme cases, have your probation revoked entirely.
Build Your Defense
Probation violations are hard to overcome, but our Criminal lawyers Austin TX will seek to mitigate the damages. We will fight to keep you from facing extreme penalties and consequences for your violation. Contact us for a free consultation.
To find out how we can help you, contact our Criminal Lawyers Austin TX at 512-400-7070 or send us a message for expert Probation Violation defense. We will schedule an initial client consultation to review your case details and lay out a game plan for your probation violation case in Texas. AZ Law Firm will pursue the legal action necessary to secure the fairest possible outcome for you and your loved ones.
- evaluating and explaining to you the pros and cons of your individual case
- discussing with you any available options and our proposed strategies as it relates to your case
- providing guidance and recommendations regarding any proposed settlement offer
- quickly and effectively communicating with you during each step of the process so that you are not left in the dark
- taking your case solely on a contingent fee basis
- and aggressively protecting and defending your rights
We understand times are tough and that there probably hasn’t been a tougher time in your life. Although we could get away with charging exuberant amounts, we prefer not to as we are a law firm by the people, for the people. We do not want you to worry about whether you can afford to hire an attorney to protect and defend your rights. Call us and be surprised at the quality you receive compared to what other law firms will quote you!
Accordingly, the attorneys at AZ Law Firm will always provide you with a free initial consultation. During this initial consultation, our cCriminal Lawyers Austin TX will evaluate your case, inform you of any legal options that may be available, and allow you to ask any questions that you may have. AZ Law Firm offers affordable rates for all our clients and will work with you on payment plans. Our firm accepts checks, debit cards, and most major credit cards to cover the costs of your legal representation.