If your license has been denied, suspended, or revoked, you may still be able to drive under specific conditions with an ODL or Occupational Drivers License Texas.
An ODL permits you to drive when you have an essential need to drive. The essential need is defined when driving is required to perform the following:
- your job
- essential household duties
- get to and from school or work
Disqualifications for an ODL
Not everyone is eligible to receive an Occupational Drivers License Texas. Under the following circumstances, you will not receive an ODL if:
- you are within a “hard suspension” waiting period following a DWI arrest or conviction
- driving privileges lost due to a mental or physical disability
- two or more ODLs have been granted in the past ten years following a conviction
- it is needed to operate a commercial vehicle
- the Judge believes you are a danger to public safety
- the Judge believes you do not have an essential need
What are the waiting periods?
As mentioned, following a suspension or revocation of your license, different waiting periods might apply. Keep in mind our lawyer may be able to negotiate shorter waiting periods. If you fall into the below circumstances, the following standard waiting periods apply:
- One-year waiting period applies if two administrative license revocations are on your driving record
- 90-day waiting period applies for drug or alcohol-related driver’s license suspensions
- 180-day waiting period applies if your license was suspended due to an intoxication offense and you received a new traffic violation
Under certain circumstances, Texas will appoint a State Attorney to argue against granting you an ODL. These circumstances include:
- if your license was suspended and you are under 21
- if your license was suspended because of a criminal homicide or an intoxication offense
What happens if you drive without an ODL while your license is suspended?
Driving without an ODL while your license is suspended is an unadvisable risk. We know petitioning the court on top of everything else seems like a lot of effort, but it’s worth it. If you are caught driving during your suspension, the following sequence of events will occur:
- You are placed under arrest
- Your vehicle is towed
- You must post bond for jail release
- The Court charges you with a Class B Misdemeanor
- Fines are imposed, and new probation begins
Don’t make a bad situation worse. Instead, seek an ODL to begin resuming daily life lawfully.
The process for authorization of an ODL gets complicated. Whether your license was just suspended or has been for years, our lawyers will argue your essential need and facilitate the speedy issuance of your ODL so you can get back to life as normally as possible.
To find out how we can help you, contact a DWI Lawyer Austin at 512-400-7070 or send us a message for expert Occupational Drivers License Texas representation. We will schedule an initial client consultation to review your case details and lay out a game plan for your ODL case in Texas. AZ Law Firm will pursue the legal action necessary to secure the fairest possible outcome for you and your loved ones.
- evaluating and explaining to you the pros and cons of your individual case
- discussing with you any available options and our proposed strategies as it relates to your case
- providing guidance and recommendations regarding any proposed settlement offer
- quickly and effectively communicating with you during each step of the process so that you are not left in the dark
- taking your case solely on a contingent fee basis
- and aggressively protecting and defending your rights
We understand times are tough and that there probably hasn’t been a tougher time in your life. Although we could get away with charging exuberant amounts, we prefer not to as we are a law firm by the people, for the people. We do not want you to worry about whether you can afford to hire an attorney to protect and defend your rights. Call us and be surprised at the quality you receive compared to what other law firms will quote you!
Accordingly, the attorneys at AZ Law Firm will always provide you with a free initial consultation. During this initial consultation, an Occupational Drivers License Texas lawyer will evaluate your case, inform you of any legal options that may be available, and allow you to ask any questions that you may have. AZ Law Firm offers affordable rates for all our clients and will work with you on payment plans. Our firm accepts checks, debit cards, and most major credit cards to cover the costs of your legal representation.