Asylum may be offered as legal protection to those who fled their home country as a refugee. If you are considering seeking asylum in Texas, contact our Austin immigration attorney to assist you.
Individuals seeking asylum must be physically present in the US to apply for asylum. Additionally, they must prove they are a refugee. A refugee is defined as any person outside of their home country who is unwilling or unable to return home due to persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution because of at least one of the following factors:
- political opinion
- membership in a particular social group
Generally, the courts define persecution as a threat to life or freedom. The determination of whether harm amounts to persecution is made on a case by case basis. Forms of harm include:
- severe criminal extortion or robbery
- serious physical harm
- exceedingly harsh punishment by the government or police
- forced psychological or medical treatment
Individuals fleeing gang violence or domestic violence are strongly encouraged to speak with our Austin immigration attorney. In these circumstances, additional proof is necessary to attempt to claim asylum.
Benefits of Asylum
Once individuals receive US asylum, they also enjoy additional benefits.
Including the ability to:
- work immediately after asylum is granted
- access employment services like job search assistance, career counseling, and occupational skills training
- obtain a Social Security Card
- request derivative asylum status for spouse and children
- apply for a Green Card after one year in the US
- receive financial and medical assistance as well as English classes
Seek Representation Immediately
The asylum application process is tedious and technical. Any inconsistencies or errors stated in the application may result in removal proceedings. If you are attempting to seek asylum in the US, our Austin immigration attorney is here to help. Give us a call for a free consultation, and we’ll begin working on your application today.
Our clients receive individualized attention from an attorney, not an assistant or paralegal. Although we handle a wide range of legal issues, our attorneys are limited to practicing a few practice areas to give you the specialized care you need. We are compassionate attorneys that will listen closely to ensure your voice is heard and to implement potential strategies that most other attorney will miss. Call us for a free consult with our Austin immigration attorney to see why we vastly differ than most law firms.
- seeking the relief you need
- evaluating and tailoring a creative strategy for your individual case
- explaining the nuances and subtleties of the law in a clear and concise manner
- effectively communicating with you in a way that will exceed your expectations
- and aggressively protecting and defending your rights
We understand times are tough and that there probably hasn’t been a tougher time in your life. Although we could get away with charging exuberant amounts, we prefer not to as we are a law firm by the people, for the people. We do not want you to worry about whether you can afford to hire an Austin immigration attorney to protect and defend your rights. Call us for Immigration consult and be surprised at the quality you receive compared to what other Austin law firms will quote you!
Accordingly, the attorneys at AZ Law Firm will always provide you with a free initial consultation. During this initial consultation, our criminal lawyers will evaluate your case, inform you of any legal options that may be available, and allow you to ask any questions that you may have. AZ Law Firm offers affordable rates for all our clients and will work with you on payment plans. Our firm accepts checks, debit cards, and most major credit cards to cover the costs of your legal representation.